This blog post will act as a learning forum for pupils and parents providing a single point of contact for questions or queries about the work children have been set through the school website.
This is an important year and I would encourage pupils to try and ensure that (unless unwell) they practice a range of skills daily while at home. The children have received a pack of maths and english activities to complete on a daily basis. Along side this, other packs have been put together by other companies which are also free to download and print.
Classroom Secrets – Free access to child version of site and printable workbooks and activities
Along side the packs, other activities include:
- 60 min daily reading – This can be done in a variety of ways. The children have been given 2 reading books from school and they also have their Bookflix title. Any Bookflix titles that they complete can be commented on via the bookflix blog pages.
- World Book Online have a fabulous collection of over 3,000 eBooks and audio books available for free for children to access at home. Click here for access to the site
- Comprehension skills – Twinkl offer a range of comprehension texts / questions which can be printed out and completed . Twinkl are offering a free month subscription to access a range of resources across all subjects, including school closure packs for every year group.
How do I sign up for the free month?
Step 1: Go to www.twinkl.co.uk/offer
Step 2: Enter the code you have received, or CVDTWINKLHELPS if you have not yet been given a code
Step 3: Share the offer code and website link with anyone who could benefit
- Explore story writing and sentence challenges with Pobble Click here
- Write a letter to a family member who might need cheering up. Maybe a thank you letter to a keyworker.
- Practice spellings on spelling shed to help with the year 5/6 word list. Click here
- Starting Mon 23rd Mar, Jane Considine will be delivering a series of English sessions via webinars for pupils and parents every weekday until the schools re-open. If you want to join in please subscribe to get the updates and resources for the sessions here https://mailchi.mp/thetrainingspace.co…/webinar-subscription
Practice times tables via TTRockstars
Click here to access a range of maths resources that you can practice at home across a range of topics and year groups.
Work on your maths skills with Problem of the day
Learn more about the amazing world of science by enjoying fun science experiments, cool facts, online games and lots of free activities. Click here
Explorify for science is also a great science resource.
Other Topics / Skills
TopMarks – A great bank of interactive games
History – Big history project.
Geography – Find out about Fair trade. Can you make a discovery diary page about what you have found out
PE – Spend time jumping on the trampoline in the back garden or take the dog for a walk. Keep active, fit and healthy with a range of activities for 30 minutes a day. Joe Wicks is doing a free interactive workout every Monday- Friday morning from 9am on his YouTube channel. Create a go noodle account (It’s free) or dance along to a just dance video on You Tube. You could even try some cosmic yoga on you tube
Art / DT – Create a still life image of some flowers from the garden or a piece of fruit. Make a hand puppet through sewing or design and make an outfit for your favourite teddy. Bake a cake or plan and make a meal for your family.
Be creative – make up a song / rap. Make a model with Lego. Build a den in the garden. Learn a new language, paint a picture, design and make a new board game.
Some children will still need the structure of a school day to help them cope. An example timetable you could follow is as below.
I look forward to reading parent and pupil comments about what you have been up to…
Parents can also view relevant whole school updates on the school website homepage.
I will keep a regular eye on comments made within this post and respond where appropriate.
If you have any questions or need any assistance then please contact me on the following email address
firstname.lastname@example.org (emails will be responded to during school hours)
Many Thanks and enjoy your learning Year 6
Mrs Grugel, Mrs Clarke and Mrs Phythian
Some of the work Bella has done at home. Well done Bella, great to share ideas.